If “gentle,” “vibrant,” and “I want a second serving to, please!” don’t come to thoughts if you consider canned tuna, it’s since you haven’t made this Tuna Pasta Salad but.
A tuna pasta salad with veggies, a duo of contemporary and sun-dried tomatoes, contemporary herbs, and a lemony Greek yogurt dressing, this creamy tuna pasta salad (like this Shrimp Pasta Salad) punches above its weight.
Commonplace pasta salads fill me with dread.
I’ve had sufficient bland, goopy, and ho-hum piles of mayo-slicked pastas at potlucks to final me the remainder of this life and into the following (identical with all however this spectacular Wholesome Potato Salad).
Nonetheless, I’ll cheer for this Mediterranean tuna pasta salad to be part of each summer season cookout.
If you’re nonetheless hesitant about canned tuna, please give this recipe (and this reader favourite Chickpea Tuna Salad) a strive.
Paired with daring, citrusy, and briny components, canned tuna can truly style good.
It’s budget-friendly and good for you too.
Learn how to Make Tuna Pasta
Impressed by comparable vibrant Mediterranean components which can be so yummy in Italian Tuna Salad, this creamy tuna pasta salad will redeem soggy, bland pasta salads (and poor canned tuna experiences) of the previous.
It’s an important make-ahead pasta salad for events and cookouts, and you’ll get pleasure from it for nutritious lunches and dinners too.
- Tuna pasta salad tastes even higher just a few hours after it’s made, so you’ll be able to prep it prematurely of a gathering.
- It’s additionally wholesome (it is a tuna pasta salad with out mayo) and filling (thanks complete grains and protein), making it a pleasant alternative for meal-prep lunches.
- Pasta. The addition of complete wheat pasta makes this salad a hearty, tasty, crowd-pleaser with additional fiber. Use shapes which can be good for capturing the dressing too (like shells or penne).
- Tuna. Canned tuna is a simple and nutritious approach so as to add protein, wholesome fat, potassium, and nutritional vitamins. I favor to make use of wild caught albacore tuna, because it has a firmer texture and milder taste.
- Purple Onion. Provides a pleasing chunk to the salad.
- Tomatoes, 2 Methods. A mixture of cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes creates the best Mediterranean-inspired mixture. The juicy cherry tomatoes burst with sweetness, and the sun-dried tomatoes add wealthy, concentrated taste.
- Purple Bell Pepper. For a crisp, contemporary factor, plus a lot vitamin C.
- Capers. Whereas non-compulsory, I extremely suggest including capers to your tuna salad. They bring about simply the proper about of salty, briny taste.
- Contemporary Parsley. What’s a Mediterranean tuna salad with out contemporary herbs? You should utilize contemporary parsley, basil, or dill.
- Greek Yogurt Dressing. This salad makes use of a lightweight and vibrant Greek yogurt dressing with lemon, honey, mustard, and spices. Black pepper, salt, and dried oregano are what spices go along with tuna pasta and this Greek yogurt dressing.
- Prepare dinner the pasta in a big pot, then drain and rinse.
- Whisk the dressing components collectively.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, capers, and parsley to a big bowl.
- Stir within the pasta and dressing.
- Flake the tuna into the bowl, tossing to mix. Refrigerate for at the least 1 hour. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover pasta salad in an hermetic storage container for as much as 2 days.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, chop the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and herbs. Refrigerate every ingredient in a separate hermetic storage container.
This creamy tuna pasta salad recipe is versatile.
- Stir in different contemporary veggies, corresponding to finely chopped broccoli or cauliflower, or diced celery.
- I don’t put eggs in tuna salad, however you might add diced hard-boiled eggs if you happen to like.
- This can be a tuna pasta salad with out peas, as I felt they distracted from the opposite Mediterranean components. That mentioned, be at liberty to take a word from this Italian Farro Salad and toss frozen peas in if you happen to like.
If you happen to insist on making a tuna pasta salad with gentle mayonnaise, you’ll be able to swap as much as half of the Greek yogurt for it. You might wish to add additional lemon since Greek yogurt is tangy.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Citrus Juicer. Juicing lemons and limes has by no means been simpler.
- Salad Tongs. These are good for serving salads and extra.
- Mixing Bowls. Very best for making ready salads and even salad dressings.
Tuna noodle pasta salad, you’ve acquired a contemporary, new look!
Incessantly Requested Questions
Sure, you’ll be able to simply make this recipe gluten free by swapping the entire wheat pasta for a gluten free pasta.
For followers of spice, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of purple pepper flakes to the Greek yogurt dressing.
Whereas we love this salad with canned tuna, you might strive swapping in canned sardines or salmon as a substitute (if you happen to love salmon and pasta collectively, don’t miss my Salmon Pasta recipe).
FOR THE TUNA AND PASTA:
- 8 ounces raw complete wheat pasta corresponding to shells, rotini, or elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup finely diced purple onion about 1 small
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes*
- 1 purple bell pepper cored and minimize into 1/4-inch cube
- 3 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained (non-compulsory)
- 3 tablespoons chopped contemporary parsley or ¼ cup chopped contemporary basil
- 3 (4-ounce) cans wild caught albacore tuna
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon about 1/4 cup juice and 1 teaspoon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus extra to style
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper plus extra to style
Prepare dinner the pasta in well-salted water to al dente in keeping with the package deal directions. Drain in a colander, then rinse with chilly water to cease the cooking. Shake off as a lot water as doable. Let the colander with the pasta sit within the sink or on a towel to proceed draining whilst you put together the remainder of the salad.
Place the purple onion in a small bowl and canopy with chilly water. Let sit at the least 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
In a small bowl or giant measuring cup, whisk collectively the dressing components: Greek yogurt, lemon zest (zest it proper into the bowl), lemon juice, honey, Dijon, salt, oregano, and pepper.
In a big serving bowl, place the cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, capers, and parsley.
Shake the pasta as soon as extra, then add it to the bowl.
Prime with the dressing and stir gently to mix.
Flake the tuna into the bowl in huge items, then toss gently to mix. Style and alter the seasoning as desired (relying upon your tuna, you could want just a few extra good pinches of salt).
For one of the best style, refrigerate at the least 1 hour earlier than serving to permit the flavors to marry and develop. Take pleasure in immediately from the fridge or at room temperature.
- *You should utilize both dry-packed or oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. For dry-packed, rehydrate them by masking them with very popular water and letting soak for five minutes, then drain and pat dry. For oil-packed, use a paper towel to blot of extra oil first.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover pasta salad in an hermetic storage container for as much as 2 days.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 275kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 23gFats: 3gSaturated Fats: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 25mgPotassium: 734mgFiber: 6gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 1278IUVitamin C: 51mgCalcium: 65mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.