With juicy, honey-sweetened peaches effervescent away beneath a borderline irresponsible quantity of toasty, buttery oat topping, this straightforward Peach Crisp pushes the topping-to-fruit ratio to absolutely the max.
Fruit crisps (like this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp) are the again pocket dessert I flip to all summer season lengthy.
They’re a proper of summer season passage, a breeze to bake, and a pure pleasure to eat.
I particularly adore this recipe (and this Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler) on the top of the peach season.
If recent peaches haven’t reached you but, concern not, you should utilize frozen peaches to make this crisp too.
Whereas the peaches are the actual star of this fruit crisp, we even have to speak about topping—as a result of there’s loads of it!
If you’re of the angle that an excessive amount of topping on a fruit crisp is solely not a state of affairs that exists in actual life, then my pal, that is the proper peach crisp recipe for you (as is that this Cherry Crisp).
5 Star Overview
“Scrumptious!!! A brand new household favourite.”
— Sasha —
The opposite factor I like about fruit crisps? They’re additionally versatile and depart room for play.
- Along with swapping out the totally different fruits because the summer season goes on (Strawberry Crisp to kick off the season, Blackberry Crisp follows, then Crock Pot Apple Crisp brings us house), I additionally tweak the topping.
- Strive including totally different nuts, spices, or extracts to make this recipe your individual. (When you want some inspiration, preserve scrolling for a couple of concepts within the “Recipe Variations” field.)
Crisp vs. Cobbler vs. Crumble
Crisps, cobblers, and crumbles are all members of the scrumptious household of straightforward fruit desserts that function a bubbly fruit filling baked beneath a golden, buttery topping.
The phrases are sometimes used interchangeably, and all of them are delicious.
The distinction between a cobbler and a crisp lies within the pastry batter baked on prime of the fruit.
- Crisp has a buttery, crumbly streusel-like topping comprised of butter, sugar, and oats. The topping is often much less dense than a cobbler and can type a evenly crispy “lid” throughout baking.
- Cobbler both makes use of a cake-like batter (like this Crock Pot Peach Cobbler) or a biscuit-style batter, relying on the recipe and the area. Usually, the batter is scattered in dollops over the fruit and can type a tough “crust” as soon as baked.
- Crumble has a topping comprised of merely flour, sugar, and butter; it doesn’t embody oats, so it’s normally denser than crisp.
Baked fruit desserts like crisps, cobblers, and crumbles are all scrumptious treats to make if in case you have peaches going unhealthy. Strive all of them!
Find out how to Make Peach Crisp
As standard, I made a couple of sneaky swaps to make this a wholesome peach crisp that I’d not be ashamed of topping with yogurt for breakfast (ideally beside a Peach Smoothie or maybe Peach Pancakes).
I additionally saved the recipe as fuss-free as doable.
Fairly than chopping the butter into the dry components, you stir the topping collectively on the range, making this crisp recipe straightforward in comparison with most.
Peach Filling Substances
- Peaches. To match the outlandish quantity of topping, this crisp additionally presents a beneficiant portion of considered one of my best joys: recent summer season peaches. Plus, peaches are a wonderful supply of nutritional vitamins and fiber. (This Peach Upside Down Cake is one other peachy delight to attempt.)
- Honey. Provides only a contact of pure sweetness to our peach filling.
- Flour. It is a peach crisp with out cornstarch! As an alternative, old style all goal flour helps thicken the peach filling to create heat, syrupy goodness.
- Lemon Zest. Brightens up all the opposite flavors.
- Vanilla + Nutmeg. These heat, cozy additions assist this wholesome peach crisp turn into one thing extraordinary.
Crisp Topping Substances
- Rolled Oats. A key ingredient for our crispy, nutty topping. The oats give the topping the proper streusel texture (as seen on this Gluten Free Apple Crisp).
- Butter + Oil. The moisture and golden parts within the crisp topping come from further virgin olive oil and butter. The nuanced, evenly grassy olive oil taste is beautiful alongside the honey-sweet peaches.
- Complete Wheat Flour. Makes the topping slightly extra healthful than different basic peach crisp recipes (e.g., Pioneer Girl, Ina Garten, Betty Crocker, and so on.).
- Sugar + Cinnamon. A mixture that everybody loves (as in these Baked Peaches)! These heat and candy additions complement the nutty and buttery flavors within the topping.
- Almonds. For max crunch, I additionally added sliced almonds. When you attempt them within the topping, you’ll by no means need to make one with out them.
- Peel the peaches: Boil an enormous pot of water and rating the underside of the peaches with an “X.”
- Boil the peaches for 1 minute, then plunge into an ice bathtub. Peel away the skins. Put aside.
At times, you’ll get a cussed peach that also received’t peel and have to make use of a knife, by which case, you’ll deserve an additional serving of the completed peach crisp!
- Minimize the peeled peaches into wedges, and mix with the remaining filling components.
- Soften the butter and add the topping components.
- Switch the peach combination (with the juices) to a baking dish, and sprinkle with the topping. Bake peach crisp at 375 levels for 30 to 35 minutes, or till the topping is evenly golden and the filling is scorching and bubbly. Take away, let cool barely, then serve. ENJOY!
After 20 minutes, you might take away the peach crisp from the oven and loosely tent it with aluminum foil to guard it from over-browning. Then, return the crisp to the oven for the ultimate 10 to fifteen minutes.
- Peach Crisp with out Oats. When you’d wish to make this with out oats, I’d counsel swapping them for a lowered quantity of further white entire wheat flour. (Now you’ve a peach crumble!)
- Peach Crisp with Berries. When you occur to produce other fruit hanging out in your kitchen, don’t be afraid to throw it into the recipe. Peach and blueberry crisp or peach and raspberry crisp are two wonderful taste mixtures I like to recommend.
- To Make Gluten Free and Dairy Free. To make the peach crisp gluten free, you should utilize a 1:1 baking mix, like this one, or swap the apples for peaches as in my favourite Vegan Apple Crisp (which additionally occurs to be dairy free!).
- Vegan Peach Crisp. To make a vegan peach crisp, swap the honey for maple syrup and go for a vegan butter different (like Earth’s Stability) within the topping.
- To Retailer. Cowl the crisp, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching. You too can reheat this recipe within the microwave, although the oven does a greater job crisping the topping again up.
- To Freeze. Retailer peach crisp in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
What to Serve with Peach Crisp
Rhubarb Swirl Buttermilk Ice Cream
Oat Milk Ice Cream
Banana Ice Cream
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Baking Dish
I like the standard of Staub ceramic baking dishes! Their porcelain-enamel end is scratch resistant, and so they retain warmth very properly. Plus, they’re dishwasher-safe too!
Double the topping? Sounds simply peachy, if you happen to ask me!
Steadily Requested Questions
No. Nonetheless, my desire is to peel the peaches for baked peach recipes like this peach crisp as I discover the skins within the filling distracting. If the skins don’t trouble you, be happy to easily slice and pit the peaches and skip boiling and peeling.
Whereas it’s unattainable to know exactly what might have prompted your peach crisp to be runny with out being in your kitchen with you, there are a couple of frequent culprits. First, enable the crisp to chill virtually utterly earlier than serving, because the filling will thicken because the crisp cools. In any other case, measure the flour within the filling precisely as it is important for thickening the juices from the peaches.
Proceed with warning. I haven’t tried making peach crisp with canned peaches but, however I believe you possibly can experiment in a pinch. Word that the crisp received’t be as fresh-tasting as if you happen to use recent or frozen and the filling will likely be a lot softer. For finest outcomes, attempt peaches packed in pure fruit juice (versus syrup) and drain them first. In case your canned peaches are in syrup, nevertheless, I counsel decreasing the honey within the filling, since they are going to be sweeter. When you resolve to mess around with canned peaches, I’d love to listen to the way it goes!
Completely, you may make crisp with frozen peaches. Frozen peaches are inclined to include slightly extra liquid than recent peaches. Due to this fact, I like to recommend thawing the peaches first, then draining away a few of the extra liquid to attain a peach crisp with the same consistency to my unique peach crisp recipe.
For the Peach Filling:
- 2 1/2 kilos peaches about 6-7 medium
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from about 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon floor nutmeg freshly grated if doable
For the Crisp Topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup mild further virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup mild brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white entire wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup uncooked sliced almonds non-obligatory (you may also use roughly chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Vanilla or plain nonfat Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt for serving
Place rack within the heart of the oven and preheat to 375 levels F. Evenly coat a 9×9-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
To rapidly and simply peel the peaches, deliver a really giant pot with sufficient water to cowl the peaches to a boil. Whereas the water involves a boil, put together an ice bathtub by inserting a number of beneficiant handfuls of ice cubes in a big bowl after which filling it with chilly water.
With a small, sharp knife, rating the underside of the peaches with an “X.” As soon as the water is boiling, gently decrease half of the peaches into the water with a slotted spoon or tongs to guard your fingers. (You need to add the peaches in two batches in order that the water temperature doesn’t quickly drop.) Boil for 1 minute.
With the spoon, take away peaches from the water and plunge into the ice bathtub to cease the cooking. The skins can now be simply slipped off along with your fingers. Repeat with remaining peaches. (Every so often, you may get a cussed peach that also will not peel and have to make use of a knife.)
Minimize the peeled peaches into thick, 3/4-inch wedges (about 8 per peach, relying on the scale). Place the wedges in a medium bowl and stir within the honey, flour, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Put aside whilst you make the topping.
Put together the topping: In a medium saucepan, soften the butter and oil over medium warmth. Whisk within the brown sugar and granulated sugar till blended (The oil and butter will nonetheless be slightly separate from the sugar, however the sugar shouldn’t have any lumps). As soon as mixed, sprinkle within the oats, white entire wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt. Swap to a rubber spatula and fold to mix, stirring till the components are evenly moistened. The combination will likely be slightly crumbly. Final, stir within the almonds.
Give the peach filling combination a couple of further stirs, then switch it to the ready baking dish, together with any juices which have collected within the bowl. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
Place the crisp within the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then take away it from the oven and evenly cowl it with aluminum foil to guard it from over-browning. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-Quarter-hour or till the topping is evenly golden and the filling is scorching and bubbly. Take away, let cool, then serve heat topped with ice cream or Greek yogurt.
- TO STORE: Cowl the crisp, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching. You too can reheat this recipe within the microwave, although the oven does a greater job crisping the topping again up.
- TO FREEZE: Retailer peach crisp in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- RECIPE VARIATION: You too can make this recipe with plums, cherries, blueberries, or a mixture!
- TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Use a 1:1 baking mix like this one.
Serving: 1(of 8); with out ice cream or Greek yogurtEnergy: 392kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 7gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 15mgPotassium: 305mgFiber: 6gSugar: 33gVitamin A: 640IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Listed below are extra of my favourite recent summer season peach recipes: