This olive tapenade recipe has a scrumptious mixture of recent, salty, and briny flavors. Serve it with crackers or baguette for a easy summer time appetizer!
A number of years again, if you happen to’d provided me olive tapenade at a celebration or gathering, I’d have politely declined it. I’d at all times considered myself as an adventurous eater, however for some purpose, olives simply hadn’t been for me. However just lately, I’ve lastly(!) began to come back round to them. I like them in Greek salad and on bruschetta, and now, I even love olives in tapenade! Who is aware of? Should you’re an olive skeptic, this recipe would possibly win you over too.
Should you’re not accustomed to tapenade, it’s a salty, briny olive unfold that originated within the Provençe area of France. It’s unbelievable on crackers and baguette, and it’s a formidable centerpiece for a summer time cheese board. My recipe requires a brief listing of pantry components, so it’s simple to whip up at a second’s discover. It could be an ideal last-minute appetizer for a celebration immediately or anytime this season. Get pleasure from!
Olive Tapenade Recipe Substances
Conventional tapenade is made with anchovies along with olives and capers. To maintain this recipe vegetarian, I skip the anchovies, however don’t fear – it’s nonetheless intensely flavorful. Right here’s what you’ll must make it:
- Olives, in fact! A standard recipe would name for black olives comparable to niçoise or Nyon. For a colourful twist, I exploit a mixture of inexperienced olives, like Castelvetrano, and kalamata olives as an alternative. Tip: For fast and simple prep, purchase pitted olives on the grocery retailer as an alternative of pitting them your self!
- Capers – They amp up the tapenade’s salty, briny taste.
- Solar-dried tomatoes – They’re not completely conventional, however they add attractive purple flecks and wealthy, savory taste to this recipe.
- Contemporary lemon juice – For brightness.
- Garlic – For chunk.
- Further-virgin olive oil – It brings the tapenade collectively right into a cohesive paste.
- And recent basil or parsley – These herbs supply a recent distinction to all of the briny, salty components within the recipe.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Historically, olive tapenade is made in a mortar and pestle, however to streamline the method, I make mine in a meals processor as an alternative. It comes collectively in simply 5 minutes!
Olive Tapenade Serving Options
My favourite approach to serve tapenade is as an appetizer. Set it out with crackers or baguette, or serve it as a part of part of a snack board with parts comparable to these:
- Creamy dips. You possibly can’t go mistaken with hummus or white bean dip.
- Cheeses. I really like serving this olive tapenade with delicate, creamy cheeses like brie or recent mozzarella.
- Crunchy snacks. Roasted chickpeas and pecans are my go-tos.
- Contemporary veggies or fruit. No matter’s in season is your greatest wager!
However there are different methods to serve olive tapenade, too! Attempt dotting it onto pizza, or slather it onto a sandwich. Spoon it over hard-boiled eggs for a snack or onto scrambled eggs for breakfast. You possibly can additionally add a couple of dollops to a summer time salad, like a Caprese salad or this zucchini salad, for a daring punch of taste.
How do you wish to serve olive tapenade? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Summer time Appetizers
Should you love this olive tapenade recipe, strive considered one of these summer time appetizers subsequent:
This olive tapenade recipe is a straightforward, scrumptious appetizer! We like to serve it with crackers or baguette. Discover extra serving recommendations within the put up above.
- 1½ cups pitted olives, mixture of kalamata and inexperienced olives
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ tablespoon recent lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup recent basil or parsley
In a small meals processor, mix the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, capers, lemon juice, and garlic.
Pulse till mixed however nonetheless chunky. Add the recent herbs and pulse once more.
Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
Sources: David Lebovitz and The Artwork of Easy Meals by Alice Waters