Lactobacillus gasseri, L. gasseri, is among the most essential gastrointestinal (GI) microbes of the thousand or so species within the human intestinal microbiome. It’s probably a “keystone” species, i.e., a species that’s essential for the proliferation and metabolism of quite a few different microbes, maybe even the composition of your entire GI microbiome. And, like Lactobacillus reuteri, it’s a microbe that many people have misplaced as a result of antibiotics and different elements.
The important thing options that make L. gasseri a standout amongst microbes contains its means to 1) colonize the higher GI tract, and a pair of) produce bacteriocins, pure antibiotics efficient towards species equivalent to E. coli, Klebsiella, and Staphylococcus, the species of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, SIBO. It’s my suspicion that widespread publicity to antibiotics and different elements which have diminished or eradicated essential species like L. gasseri and L. reuteri that colonize the higher GI tract and produce bacteriocins are main elements accountable for the epidemic of SIBO that, by my calculations, afflict 1 in 3 People or >100 million folks. Restoration of those two microbes can due to this fact be a part of the answer as we do in my recipe for SIBO Yogurt (recipe in Tremendous Intestine: business sources, fermenting temperature, number of prebiotic fiber).
However L. gasseri shines for different causes, additionally. Among the many observations made with this microbe (varied strains):
- L. gasseri reduces perceived results of stress
- L. gasseri reduces visceral fats and reduces waist circumference. Two human research with two completely different strains of L. gasseri have reported this impact. Whereas some speculate that that is achieved by way of elevated fats oxidation (fats “burning”), I suggest that it’s because of the discount in LPS endotoxemia from its upper-GI colonizing and bacteriocin-producing results.
- L. gasseri reduces bothersome “sizzling flashes,” i.e., the vasomotor signs of menopause. It additionally improves a girl’s menopausal psychological standing.
- L. gasseri reduces the signs of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As soon as once more, I consider that L. gasseri’s distinctive skills scale back the higher GI infestation of SIBO microbes accountable for many instances of IBS.
- L. gasseri reduces signs of purposeful dyspepsia, i.e., “heartburn” after a meal.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri could scale back uric acid and oxalate ranges.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri can scale back cognitive impairment.
- Preliminary proof means that L. gasseri suppresses Candida albicans overgrowth.
These are the consequences of only one microbe.
Are you gaining an appreciation for the extraordinary energy we’ve in reconstructing a wholesome microbiome? For these of you interested by changing this misplaced microbe, the proof is finest for the BNR17 pressure out there commercially that we then use to ferment meals equivalent to natural half-and-half for 36 hours to generate a whole bunch of billions of microbial counts for bigger organic results.